The mission of Insure the Uninsured Project (ITUP) is to promote innovative and workable policy solutions that expand health care access and improve the health of Californians, through policy-focused research and broad-based stakeholder engagement. As a nonpartisan organization, ITUP provides concise, unbiased analysis of current health care policy. ITUP looks to advance a health care system that is universal, accessible, affordable, effective, and equitable.
ITUP is available to provide technical assistance, answer questions, and provide insight on the California health care landscape.
For press inquiries, contact:
Sandra Hernandez, Communications Coordinator
email@example.com: 916-226-3899 ex. 409
Key ITUP Resources
- Health Care Coverage Options during COVID-19: This ITUP Fact Sheet provides an overview of what the health coverage landscape looked like before COVID-19 and how the pandemic has impacted coverage access in California.
- Health Insurance Basics: This ITUP Fact Sheet gives an overview of common sources of health insurance in California. Learn more about who qualifies for, pays for, and regulates these sources of health care coverage in the state.
- Telehealth and COVID-19: In this easy to digest ITUP Fact Sheet, readers will learn more about the telehealth policies put into place during the public health emergency and what considerations stakeholders should contemplate as we move into a post-pandemic environment.
- Historical Journey of the ACA: ITUP has compiled the following resources on what’s at stake for Californians and the nation if the ACA is overturned in California v. Texas on November 10, 2020.
- Health Coverage Regional Profiles: These Coverage at a Glance publications highlight data on the uninsured, as well as state/county enrollment in Covered California and Medi-Cal for 2020.
- ITUP Snapshot: Remaining Uninsured in CA: This Snapshot, with updated 2018 data, provides a profile of the state’s uninsured using data from the California Health Interview Survey, and projections for 2022 from the California Simulation of Insurance Markets.
- Covering Undocumented Young Adults in Medi-Cal: This ITUP blog highlights the expansion opportunity as well as potential challenges in bringing eligible undocumented young adults into coverage.
- Mapping the Future of Medi-Cal: This publication examines pressing issues related to the future of Medi-Cal coverage for Californians without employer-sponsored coverage or Medicare.
- Mapping the Future of the Individual Market: This mapping publication takes an in-depth look at the individual market coverage option likely to engage policymakers and stakeholders in the near future.
- Covered California and Individual Health Insurance: In this Health Policy Essential ITUP provides the basics of California’s state-based exchange and the market for individual coverage.
- ITUP 2020 Regional Profiles: The ITUP regional profiles offer graphics and a breakdown of state/county enrollment in Covered California and Medi-Cal, including enrollment by health plan. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this year’s overviews include data to highlight the potential effects the pandemic may have on insurance coverage in each of ITUP Regional Workgroup counties.
- California’s Health Care Safety Net: This Health Policy Essential focuses on the programs, providers, and populations that make up the state’s health care safety net for low-income and underserved communities.
- 2019 County Medically Indigent Care Programs: This version of ITUP Tracking provides a review of Medically Indigent Adult (MIA) programs administered by counties for low-income uninsured adults.
- Health Care Program for CA Immigrants: Undocumented adults are the largest group of California’s remaining uninsured. This ITUP fact sheet provides an overview of existing health care programs for immigrants in California.