The mission of Insure the Uninsured Project (ITUP) is to promote innovative and workable policy solutions that expand health care access and improve the health of Californians, through policy-focused research and broad-based stakeholder engagement. As a nonpartisan organization, ITUP provides concise, unbiased analysis of current health care policy. ITUP looks to advance a health care system that is universal, accessible, affordable, effective, and equitable.
ITUP is available to provide technical assistance, answer questions, and provide insight on the California health care landscape.
For press inquiries, contact:
Sandra Hernandez, Communications Coordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org: 916-226-3899 ex. 409
Key ITUP Resources
- Health Care Coverage Options during COVID-19: This ITUP Fact Sheet provides an overview of what the health coverage landscape looked like before COVID-19 and how the pandemic has impacted coverage access in California.
- Coverage in California at a Glance: This Coverage at a Glance publication highlights data on the uninsured, as well as state/county enrollment in Covered California and Medi-Cal. (needs updated data)
- ITUP Snapshot: Remaining Uninsured in CA: This Snapshot, with updated 2018 data, provides a profile of the state’s uninsured using data from the California Health Interview Survey, and projections for 2022 from the California Simulation of Insurance Markets.
- Covering Undocumented Young Adults in Medi-Cal: This ITUP blog highlights the expansion opportunity as well as potential challenges in bringing eligible undocumented young adults into coverage.
- Mapping the Future of Medi-Cal: This publication examines pressing issues related to the future of Medi-Cal coverage for Californians without employer-sponsored coverage or Medicare.
- Mapping the Future of the Individual Market: This mapping publication takes an in-depth look at the individual market coverage option likely to engage policymakers and stakeholders in the near future.
- Covered California and Individual Health Insurance: In this Health Policy Essential ITUP provides the basics of California’s state-based exchange and the market for individual coverage.
- ITUP 2019 Regional Profiles: These Regional Profile publications offer enhanced graphics and a county-by-county breakdown of important pilot and demonstration projects, such as the Whole Person Care program.
- California’s Health Care Safety Net: This Health Policy Essential focuses on the programs, providers, and populations that make up the state’s health care safety net for low-income and underserved communities.
- 2019 County Medically Indigent Care Programs: This version of ITUP Tracking provides a review of Medically Indigent Adult (MIA) programs administered by counties for low-income uninsured adults.
- Health Care Program for CA Immigrants: Undocumented adults are the largest group of California’s remaining uninsured. This ITUP fact sheet provides an overview of existing health care programs for immigrants in California.